April 18, 2021

Non-partisan and pluralist communication and debate platform

Home » Content » Public media in Catalonia interviews four independentists for each guest who is not
This data is deduced from the "Report on the observance of political pluralism on television and radio" corresponding to the months of March to August 2020, which has been released these days of Easter by the Catalan Audiovisual Council (CAC).

6/4/2021

The ratio is three to one in Xavier Graset’s ‘Més 324’ in the period from March to August 2020 according to the CAC

In the Tot es mou and FAQS programs on TV3, four pro-independence people are interviewed for each one who is not. This data is deduced from the “Report on the observance of political pluralism on television and radio” corresponding to the months of March to August 2020, which has been released these days of Easter by the Catalan Audiovisual Council (CAC). This calculation is included in the concurrent private vote presented on this report by the CAC counselor Carme Figueras. In this concurring vote, Figueras details that in Tot es mou 53 independentistas were interviewed compared to fifteen non-independentistas. In the FAQS, seventeen independentists were interviewed compared to four who are not. In other words, in these two programs, the proportion of interviewees approached or exceeded that of four independentists for each one who is not.

The program of analysis of the political news of the nights of TV3 –Més 324– also clearly shows the independence of Catalonia in terms of the relationship between the interviews carried out with characters in favor of it and those who are against it. The proportion in this case is slightly lower than that given to Tot es mou and FAQS. Between March and August of last year, the director and presenter of Més 324, Xavier Graset, interviewed seventeen independentists and six non-independentists. That is, practically three independentists for each guest who is not.

During these months, the Catalan National Assembly (ANC) and Òmnium Cultural received extraordinarily favorable treatment on the public radio and television of the Generalitat. The vice president of Òmnium Cultural, Marcel Mauri, was interviewed four times in Tot es mou, two in the FAQS, two in Planta baixa and one in Més 324. He was also interviewed four times in El matí de Catalunya Ràdio and once in the Catalunya migdia and Catalunya nit programs of this station. The president of Òmnium, Jordi Cuixart, also paraded through the Catalunya Ràdio and TV3 studios. He sat in that of the FAQS and in that of El matí de Catalunya Ràdio. The FAQS interview lasted one hour and seven minutes, that of El matí a Catalunya Ràdio, 40 minutes.

The president of the ANC, Elisenda Paluzié, has also been a regular speaker on TV3 and Catalunya Ràdio: El matí de Catalunya Ràdio (once), Tot es mou (one), FAQS (one) and Més 324 (one). TV3 also broadcast live Paluzié’s press appearance after the establishment of the new National Secretariat of the entity. She gave him fifteen minutes. On July 28, she dedicated half an hour to the act that the ANC and Òmnium Cultural jointly organized in front of the Lledoners prison to protest the revocation of the third degree of prison for most of the independence prisoners. Catalunya Ràdio dedicated 25 minutes to him.

Òminum Cultural and the ANC monopolize the time that the Generalitat’s public media devoted to “entities linked to political debate” between March and August of last year. In TV3 they occupied 78.6% of that time and in Catalunya Ràdio, 72%. The other entities present in this section are also from the procedural field. On TV3, Alert Solidària represents 7.7% of these interventions and the Associació Catalana pels Drets Civils, 0.9%. The El País de demà platform, which could be considered equidistant, completes this table on TV3 with 13.8%. This platform managed to carve out a small gap in Catalunya Ràdio: 6%. The remaining 94% was distributed between the ANC, Òmnium Cultural, Alert Solidària, the Associació Catalana pels Drets Civils and even the Consell per la República, which was granted 7.7% of the time dedicated to this type of entity .

OpenKat

View all posts

Add comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *